Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Living He Loved Me

So my newest favorite song is Glorious Day which Casting Crowns sings- which is actually an old hymn that they made more contemporary. There are so many hymns that are so powerful and have such great meaningful words. It gives me goosebumps every time and I never get sick of hearing it! It played on my way to and from work today and I cranked the volume and sang! Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqrqPGt11bA&feature=player_detailpage

It makes me sad that our contemporary churches don't sing these songs any more because they are "old" and "outdated" as far as musical style goes- when I think many of the hymns have more meaning then some of the new songs that just repeat the same line 15 times- and 3 different times in the song. Don't get me wrong I like choruses and contemporary songs just as much as the next person- but there are so many amazing hymns that get forgotten and are amazing worship songs.

I think part of the reason I am so nostalgic about hymns is some great memories I have are from hymn sing nights at my small town church in MN- where the whole church congregation would come out and we would sing together- and when one hymn was over someone would shout out another number of a favorite hymn and we would just sing for an hour or so- and of course have refreshments afterwards, which I am sure at that time was my favorite part:) But looking back as I get older- singing those hymns and all of the cherished older individuals in my church loving it so much- including my beloved Grandma Clara- makes me appreciate those hymns so much more. They are packed with spiritual truth and encouragement! Who wouldn't love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment